Friday, 19 October 2007

Campaign for Disabled People

Recently became disabled and thank goodness I can use the PC my life saver besides family and friends. I still find it very difficult to walk and to go out anywhere and feel comfortable.

I have faced many obstacles since becoming disabled in 2005, it certainly has showed me how important our health is to us once you face this situation, something I literally took for granted and to be honest I did not give it a second thought whilst I was healthy and go about my everyday life until my health got the better of me and now face possible long term disability.

I find it a struggle to go out anywhere, some of the problems I face are...

1. Not being able to go out shopping in a wheelchair the aisles are just too small, personally I would love to see an all in one department store adaptable for disabled people, ie wider aisles, lower shelves, accessible changing rooms, I could go on.
2. Public Transport, the buses have no ramps at the bus stops, no access ramp to get on the bus, I would like to see a disabled public transport accessible for disabled people only. The same goes for trains, aeroplanes, do they really think we dont like going out or something!
3. There should be more education on the disabled within our schools and more literature in doctors practises, libraries and within our community, we should be supporting the disabled not hide them

Being disabled has taught me to say to myself - I do not care what others think, I am not going to be stopped from going out, I want to get out and about like an able bodied person, we are human you know. Come on you Big Investors and The Government lets band together and get this sorted out, it is the 21st century after all with high technology surely there is money better spent on facilities for the disabled rather than spending and squandering tax payers money on for example the millennium Dome - was it really 600 MILLION POUNDS and used ONCE. Come on get your brain in gear, you might end up disabled and then what, it will be too late because no one wants to help. I faced being healthy and the next minute disabled, it could happen to you, we are not second rate citizens and we deserve better treatment than this.

I have alot more to say on this subject, but cant type for the moment as I have become tired, you see one of my disabilities is Myasthenia Gravis, severe muscle weakness and extreme tiredness, my other disabilities are through negligence, other peoples mistakes. Dont let it happen to YOU, if you can make a difference for the disabled Please put you vote in and help us to succeed to have a better quality of life.

I need to rest now, after I have had my rest I will return and finish off my say on this
important and serious subject.

One tired Lorraine - its only 2.50pm need to sleep again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo Lorraine,
May God Bless you and give you strength, people should appreciate the courage it takes being disabled through the digraceful negligence on the part of others, the truth will out and you are doing great work in bringing these things to light which can save many people going through great suffering, you have my admiration and respect.